Although a settlement has existed on this part of the Miramichi River since the late 1700s, it was not until our first post office opened in 1868 that the community became known as “Doaktown,” undoubtedly because the most influential man in the village at the time was Squire Robert Doak. The Squire, who arrived here with his family from Ayrshire, Scotland in the early 1820s, owned a number of carding and grist mills, dabbled in the lumber industry, held a variety of public positions, and was the settlement’s largest employer. Coincidentally, the first postmaster, Hiram Freeze, was Doak’s son-in-law, being the husband of the Squire’s eldest child, Margaret.
Until the 1960s, the Province of New Brunswick had a three-tiered local government system, beginning with the county, then the parish, and down through to the municipality. All municipalities were subordinate to the parish in which they were located and, in turn, the parishes were governed by the counties. However, with the introduction of New Brunswick’s Equal Opportunity Program, the county governments were dissolved and the Province assumed responsibility for the provision of education, social services, the administration of justice, and health care. Under this same program, municipalities were encouraged to take a stronger role in their day to day affairs and so it was that on November 9, 1966 Doaktown was incorporated as an official “village” with a Mayor and Councillors.